1. comscore.com, June 2009.
2. http://www.comscore.com/Press_Events/Press_Releases/2010/1/ Global_Search_Market_Grows_46_Percent_in_2009.
3. http://searchengineland.com/can-searchers-find-the-superbowl-163 96 (accessed February 2009).
4. http://www.comscore.com/Press_Events/Press_Releases/2010/1/ Global_Search_Market_Grows_46_Percent_in_2009.
5. Enquisite Performance Suite .www.enquisite.com.
6. Author interview with Steven Levy of Wired magazine (accessed August 2009).
9. A 2007 Web Visible/Nielson study found that 74 percent of respondents used search engines to find local business information versus 65 percent who turned to print Yellow Pages, 50 percent who used Internet Yellow Pages, and 44 percent who used traditional newspapers. AOL Walletpop (http://www.walletpop.com/specials/top-25-things-vanishing-from-america) called the Yellow Pages one of 25 things that were going extinct, along with outhouses and ham radios.
10. eMarketer 2007: 85 percent of online shoppers are also online buyers.
JupiterResearch 2007: U.S. online retail sales will grow by 16 percent in 2007 to reach a total of $116 billion. Over the next five years, U.S. online retail sales will reach $171 billion. ThirdAge Inc. and JWT Boom 2007: Adults aged 45 years or more likely to shop online. 73 percent of survey respondents indicate shopping is their top online activity.
11. http://www.comscore.com (accessed October 2008).
12. http://www.census.gov/mrts/www/data/pdf/08Q4.pdf (accessed February 2009).
13. http://searchengineland.com/live-blogging-microsoft-searchification-day-2007-12283 (accessed September 2007).
14. http://www.comscore.com/Press_Events/Press_Releases/2007/07/ Yahoo!_and_comscore_Online_Consumer_Study (accessed July 2007).
15. http://ir.comscore.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=245287 (accessed March 2006).
16. Consumer electronics, toys and hobbies, video games and consoles, and music, movies, and videos enjoy more than 80 percent of conversions from online searches that take place offline.
17. http://www.mediapost.com/publications/?art_aid=99952&fa=Articles .showArticle (accessed February 2009).
18. http://www.enquiroresearch.com/images/Eyetracking2-Sample.pdf (accessed June 2005).
19. Hitwise (accessed May 2009).
20. http://blog.comscore.com/2009/05/longer_search_queries_driving .html (accessed May 2009).
21. eMarketer studies found that 66 percent of searchers distrust paid ads and 29 percent are annoyed by them. iProspect study found that 72 percent of Google searchers feel that organic results are more relevant to their queries than paid ones.
23. http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1491315 (accessed October 2009).
24. http://www.icrossing.com/articles/Search%20Synergy%20Report .pdf (accessed March 2007).
25. http://pages.enquiro.com/whitepaper-the-brand-lift-of-search.html (accessed May 2009).
26. June 2008, Jupiter Research http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-9980927-93.html.
27. SEMPO Research, www.slideshare.net/massimoburgio/massimo-burgio-sempo-survey-smx-madrid-2008 (accessed May 2008).
28. Michelle Goldberg, a partner at venture capital firm Ignition Partners (accessed September 2009).
29. Nielson. http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire/online_mobile/ multitasking-at-home-simultaneous-use-of-media-grows (accessed September 2009).
30. 2007 iProspect/Jupiter Research study, http://www.iprospect.com/ about/researchstudy_2007_offlinechannelinfluence.htm.
31. http://google.com/trends/hottrends?sa=X&date=2009-2-1 (accessed February 2009).
32. http://searchengineland.com/taking-on-arf-engagement-interruptive-advertising-and-whatever-else-youve-got-12598 (accessed November 2007).
33. http://www.useit.com/alertbox/banner-blindness.html (accessed August 2007).
35. http://searchengineland.com/danny-sullivans-ad-age-column-fast-company-debate-10643 (accessed May 2007).
36. http://blog.comscore.com/2009/09/the_revenge_of_neglected_ brand.html (accessed September 2009).
37. Author interview with Conrad Saam, Vice President of Marketing for Avvo (accessed January 2010).
Was this article helpful?
Inside of this special report, you'll discover... The guaranteed, bullet-proof method for ensuring that you NEVER lose rankings again. How to recover from the latest search engine update and reclaim your traffic, instantly. Find out how you can instantly maximize traffic and exposure with social signals. How you can create drop dead easy micro-sites that will bolster your ranking almost immediately and much, much more.