1. The opening vignette to the chapter discusses the strong growth Skyy vodka has experienced over the past decade. Discuss how advertising and other forms of marketing communication have contributed to the success of Skyy.
3. What are the differences between informational/rational and emotional advertising appeals and the factors that would lead to the use of one over the other. Find examples of advertising campaigns that use each type of appeal and discuss the reasons why it is used by the advertiser.
4. IMC Perspective 9-1 discusses how a number of companies have been bringing back classic adver involved in the planning and production of commercials.
Creative specialists are responsible for determining the advertising appeal and execution style as well as the tactical aspects of creating ads. However,the client must review,evaluate,and approve the tising characters, spokespeople and/or commercials. Why do you think companies are doing this? Discuss the pros and cons of this strategy.
5. What is meant by emotional bonding? Discuss how this concept can be used in developing an advertising campaign for a brand.
6. Discuss how teaser advertising might be used to introduce a new product or brand or to reposition an existing brand. What factors should marketers take into consideration when using a teaser campaign?
7. IMC Perspective 9-2 discusses how advertising for online companies failed to inspire a new creative revolution in advertising. Do you think Internet and dot.com companies relied too much on developing outrageous advertising? Might some of these companies been more successful if creative approach before any ads are produced or run. A number of criteria can be used by advertising, product,or brand managers and others involved in the promotional process to evaluate the advertising messages before approving final production.
they had used more traditional advertising approaches?
8. What is meant by slice-of-death advertising? Discuss some of the reasons business-to-business marketers might use this technique.
9. AFLAC, which is a provider of supplemental insurance, has been very successful in making a duck a popular personality symbol for the company in its advertising. Discuss why an insurance company would develop an advertising campaign featuring a duck.
10. Discuss the role of headlines and subheads in print advertisements. Find examples of print ads that use various types of direct and indirect headlines.
11. Discuss the role of music in advertising. Why might companies such as General Motors and Microsoft pay large sums of money to use popular songs in their commercials?
advertising appeal, 266 creative execution style, 266
emotional appeals, 269 transformational ad,270 reminder advertising, 274
teaser advertising, 274
Was this article helpful?