We have made a number of changes in the sixth edition to make it as relevant and current as possible, as well as more interesting to students:
• Updated Coverage of the Emerging Field of Integrated Marketing Communications The sixth edition continues to place a strong emphasis on studying advertising and promotion from an integrated marketing communications perspective. We examine developments that are impacting the way marketers communicate with their customers, such as the movement toward "branded content," whereby marketers and agencies are becoming more involved in creating an entertainment product and integrating their messages into it. New technologies such as personal video recorders and the convergence of television, computers, and the Internet are changing the way companies are using advertising along with other marketing tools to communicate with their customers. In this new edition we examine how these cutting-edge developments are impacting the IMC program of marketers.
• Updated Chapter on the Internet and Interactive Media The sixth edition includes up-to-date information on the Internet and other forms of interactive media and how they are being used by marketers. We also discuss developments such as wireless communications as well as regulations affecting the use of the Internet and important issues such as privacy. This chapter also discusses the latest developments in areas such as audience measurement and methods for determining the effectiveness of Internet advertising. Discussion of the emerging role of the Internet as an important integrated marketing communications tool and of the ways it is being used by marketers is integrated throughout the sixth edition.
• Diversity Perspectives—New to This Edition
In this edition we introduce a new feature called Diversity Perspectives. These boxed items are designed to focus attention on the increase in the diversity of the consumer market in the United States. The 2000 census showed that the Hispanic market grew by 58 percent over the past decade, and another 35 percent increase is forecast over the next 10 years. Marketers are recognizing the importance of being able to communicate with a diverse market that includes Hispanics, African-Americans, Asian-Americans, and other ethnic groups. This new feature focuses on the opportunities and challenges facing companies as they develop integrated marketing communications programs for markets that are becoming more ethnically diverse.
• Online Cases Six short cases written to correspond to various sections of the text are available online and can be downloaded for classroom use and assignments. These cases are designed to build on the material presented in the text and provide students with the opportunity to apply various IMC tools and concepts. The cases include companies and organizations such as Gateway, the U.S. Armed Forces, Chicken of the Sea International, the Partnership for a Drug Free America, and the U.S. Office of National Drug Control Policy. The online cases include information beyond that provided in the text and require that students evaluate an advertising and promotional issue and make a decision and recommendation.
• New Chapter Opening Vignettes All of the chapter opening vignettes in the sixth edition are new and were chosen for their currency and relevance to students. They demonstrate how various companies and advertising agencies use advertising and other IMC tools. They also provide interesting insights into some of the current trends and developments that are taking place in the advertising world.
• New and Updated IMC Perspectives All of the boxed items focusing on specific examples of how companies and their communications agencies are using integrated marketing communications are new or updated, and they provide insight into many of the most current and popular advertising and promotional campaigns being used by marketers. The IMC Perspectives also address interesting issues related to advertising, sales promotion, direct marketing, marketing on the Internet, and personal selling.
• New and Updated Global and Ethical Perspectives Nearly all of the boxed items focusing on global and ethical issues of advertising and promotion are new; those retained from the fifth edition have been updated. The Global Perspectives examine the role of advertising and other promotional areas in international markets. The Ethical Perspectives discuss specific issues, developments, and problems that call into question the ethics of marketers and their decisions as they develop and implement their advertising and promotional programs.
• New Career Profiles The sixth edition has all new Career Profiles that discuss the career path of successful individuals working in various areas of advertising and promotion, including clients, advertising agencies, and the media. These profiles provide students with insight into various types of careers that are available in the area of advertising and promotion on the client and agency side as well as in media. They discuss the educational backgrounds of the individuals profiled, some of the responsibilities and requirements of their positions, and their career paths. This feature has been very popular among students and in this edition we provide eight new profiles. These profiles have been written by the individuals themselves and provide students with insight into the educational background of the persons profiled, how they got started in the field of advertising and promotion, their current responsibilities, and interesting aspects of their jobs as well as experiences.
• Contemporary Examples The field of advertising and promotion changes very rapidly, and we continue to keep pace with it. Wherever possible we updated the statistical information presented in tables, charts, and figures throughout the text. We reviewed the most current academic and trade literature to ensure that this text reflects the most current perspectives and theories on advertising, promotion, and the rapidly evolving area of integrated marketing communications. We also updated most of the examples and ads throughout the book. Advertising and Promotion continues to be the most contemporary text on the market, offering students as timely a perspective as possible.
Was this article helpful?
The revenue is in the list. Youve likely heard that previously correct? Well, thats not precisely true. Not the complete truth anyhow. The greatest obstacle you face and have to defeat when you publish a ezine or put any free or paid info out there's the fact that individuals have gotten used to receiving junk from your rivals disguised as helpful free or paid info.