Design based on optimising the user experience according to all factors, including the user interface, which affect this.
Nigel Bevan (1999a) says:
Unless a web site meets the needs of the intended users it will not meet the needs of the organization providing the web site. Web site development should be user-centred, evaluating the evolving design against user requirements.
How can this customer-oriented or user-centred content be achieved?
User-centred design starts with understanding the nature and variation within the user groups. According to Bevan (1999a), issues to consider include:
• Who are the important users?
• What is their purpose for accessing the site?
• How frequently will they visit the site?
• What experience and expertise do they have?
• What nationality are they? Can they read your language?
• What type of information are they looking for?
• How will they want to use the information: read it on the screen, print it or download it?
• What type of browsers will they use? How fast will their communication links be?
• How large a screen or window will they use, with how many colours?
Rosenfeld and Morville (2002) suggest four stages of site design that also have a user-centred basis:
1 Identify different audiences.
2 Rank importance of each to business.
3 List the three most important information needs of audience.
4 Ask representatives of each audience type to develop their own wish lists.
We noted in Chapter 2 that customer persona and scenario analysis is a powerful technique of understanding different audiences which can be used to inform and test web site design.
A test of effective design for usability is dependent on three areas according to Bevan (1999b):
1 Effectiveness - can users complete their tasks correctly and completely?
2 Productivity (efficiency) - are tasks completed in an acceptable length of time?
3 Satisfaction - are users satisfied with the interaction?
Was this article helpful?
Explode your Affiliate Income Today By Learning FIRST How To Become A Successful Affiliate Manager! Do you want to know everything there is to know about running a successful affiliate program that brings you money on autopilot? Then get your hands on this brand new e-book.