Design based on optimising the user experience according to all factors, including the user interface, which affect this.
Nigel Bevan (1999a) says:
Unless a web site meets the needs of the intended users it will not meet the needs of the organization providing the web site. Web site development should be user-centred, evaluating the evolving design against user requirements.
How can this customer-oriented or user-centred content be achieved?
User-centred design starts with understanding the nature and variation within the user groups. According to Bevan (1999a), issues to consider include:
• Who are the important users?
• What is their purpose for accessing the site?
• How frequently will they visit the site?
• What experience and expertise do they have?
• What nationality are they? Can they read your language?
• What type of information are they looking for?
• How will they want to use the information: read it on the screen, print it or download it?
• What type of browsers will they use? How fast will their communication links be?
• How large a screen or window will they use, with how many colours?
Rosenfeld and Morville (2002) suggest four stages of site design that also have a user-centred basis:
1 Identify different audiences.
2 Rank importance of each to business.
3 List the three most important information needs of audience.
4 Ask representatives of each audience type to develop their own wish lists.
We noted in Chapter 2 that customer persona and scenario analysis is a powerful technique of understanding different audiences which can be used to inform and test web site design.
A test of effective design for usability is dependent on three areas according to Bevan (1999b):
1 Effectiveness - can users complete their tasks correctly and completely?
2 Productivity (efficiency) - are tasks completed in an acceptable length of time?
3 Satisfaction - are users satisfied with the interaction?
Was this article helpful?
It’s so much easier than you think to create unlimited wealth online. I’m going to show you exactly how in my comprehensive guide. Affiliates are making more money than ever these days easily cashing in while they are off doing other things. It’s nice to know you can bring in a massive income while you’re not even monitoring things because you will not be personally selling anything. You don’t even have to speak from the people that order from you.