In 2004 Virgin Radio was the most popular commercial radio station in the UK. Its web site receives over 1,000,000 unique visitors per month. The Comet campaign is a typical cross-media campaign that uses on-air and web site messaging and interaction.
• Support awareness of Comet's Price Promise that they provide low prices all year round.
• Communicate that Comet has great Christmas gifts for all the family.
• Drive traffic to Comet's gift finder at comet.co.uk.
• Create competitive standout through engaging activity.
• Listeners were invited to play 'The Price is Right' with Comet in a weeklong Drivetime Show promotion.
• Each day, a prize package demonstrating Comet's wide product range was up for grabs with a higher than normal starting price.
• Two listeners then guessed ever-decreasing prices to guess the package's true low Comet price.
• The first listener to get the price right won, or the first to get the price too low lost (and the other won by default).
• On-air mentions directed listeners to Comet's Gift Finder which was built into a co-branded micro-site on virginradio.co.uk.
• Banner ads and a competitions area on the web site were used to direct visitors to Gift Finder.
Source: Virgin Radio (www.virginradio.co.uk)
Radio has always been a good brand builder for the marketer. Now it is beginning to offer additional routes via new syndication and content deals which, in turn, may mean new programmes which means new sponsorship opportunities, and even new radio station opportunities. Some radio stations now offer audio ads with a banner ad or 'buy now' button when listening to web radio - you hear the ad, you click the button. Web radio also offers to do partner deals delivering niche radio to other web sites. This adds to the branding and also offers new revenue-generating channels as affiliates share ad revenues and merchandise sales from the partner web radio company.
Another benefit of web radio is that, as with traditional radio, there is already a dialogue - people phone in, e-mail in and snail-mail in. Today, they can click and respond instantaneously, continuing the conversation later or joining in a group discussion.
Was this article helpful?