Let's look at each quickly...
1) TITLE tag = WORLD'S BEST Fashion Factory Outlet Stores, The Cream of Cyber Discount Fashions
• Must contain your Specific Keyword at least once, no more than twice, and with some kind of variation or synonym. Try to include your most important General Keyword, too.
• Up to 70, even 80 characters. Get your most important message in, right at the beginning. If the engine cuts your title off at 60 characters in its listing, you've still fired your "big gun." Meanwhile, some engines will show up to 90 or so characters.
• Remember, the title appears as the link in Search Engine listings. It must "get the click" -- so make sure it's attractive, without being misleading. Getting your Title right for both your reader and engine is the single most important thing you can do.
2) META keyword tag = <META name= "KEYWORDS" content="factory outlet stores">
• Simple. The page is about "factory outlet stores." Don't dilute your META tag with a million synonyms.
• You could add a few General Keywords that people might add when they search (ex., "discounts, shopping").
• And consider adding a common synonym that has the a near-exact same meaning (ex.,"outlet malls").
• if you do put more than one keyword in this META tag (separated by commas), always put your most important one, the one that this page focuses upon, first. Here's an example of an expanded META keyword tag...
<META name="KEYWORDS" content="factory outlet stores, outlet malls, shopping, discounts, mall">
3) META description tag = <META name="DESCRIPTION" content="Ever been on the road, far from home, when what do you see? A mall jammed with fashion outlet stores! Nirvana, right? Welcome! Take this cyber-offramp to "Outlet Heaven.">
• The META description is the other half of what searchers see in the Search Engine's listings. So, like the Title tag, make sure it's attractive, without being misleading. A gentle, good-natured tease, like the above, will do well.
• 150-200 characters. Some engines cut off the title listing at as little as 140 characters. So again, make sure you get your "#1 benefit statement" up front. Remember, a "benefit statement" does not have to be "in your face" -- read the META tag above.
• Should contain your Specific Keyword at least once (try twice if it fits and see how it ranks). Include one or two of your most important General Keywords. Also, use common synonyms 2-3 times more (ex., "outlet" and "mall").
(Synonyms will work better and better as engines become more and more sophisticated. But your first priority is to place sufficient focus on your Specific Keyword.)
• Remember, do not repeat the TITLE in this tag. The reader will just see the same phrase twice in the Search Engine's listing, once in the title and once in the description. That's wasting valuable "word real estate."
4) H1 and other header tags = Fashion Outlet Stores Nirvana
The headlines are more important than your regular body copy. That's true for both human readers and for the engines.
And remember this... some engines don't use the META description tag to form the second part of their listings (i.e., after the Title) in their search results. In those cases, they will usually use the first words on the page, which are...
• The first words in the body copy after that.
Was this article helpful?