Marketing by the numbers

The number of online game players in China reached 32.7 million in 2006, generating $815.5 million in subscription revenue. By the end of 2008, the figure had reached 59 million, up from 48 million in 2007. The market value of online gamers has now topped $1.2 billion. However, this market value only refers to games which require an online subscription, just 20 percent of the online gaming activity. The remaining 80 percent of online gaming involves playing games that are free to use online. Multi-player games are particularly popular in China as are role-playing games.

The number of Chinese people accessing the Internet through broadband connection is also increasing. In 2006, the number was 48.7 million, up some 29 percent compared to 2005. Analysts believe that the number is likely to continue increasing at a rate of about 10 percent per year until 2011. At this point, there will be an estimated 78.9 million people in China using broadband connections. Many Chinese households do not have personal computers, however, and, as a result, Internet cafes are very popular (especially for the 18-40 age groups).

1. Discuss the opportunities for overseas businesses in the growing the online games market in China.

2. Find similar figures for your own country and compare the trends.

Salehoo Secrets and Tips

Salehoo Secrets and Tips

As with any web site, SaleHoo has a number of features that will help you in buying products from around the world. Once you have an account on SaleHoo, which only costs a one-time fee, you can establish up to twenty named searches for products. After that, any time those items become available, you’ll be alerted.

Get My Free Ebook


Post a comment